SANAA: An international medical relief agency says a hospital it runs in Yemen was damaged by a missile and drone attack. Yemeni military officials blame the attack, which targeted nearby buildings, on the Houthi militia.
In a statement Thursday, Doctors Without Borders said there were no reports of deaths or injuries among its patients at the hospital, located in the Red Sea city of Mocha.
Wadah Dobish, a spokesman for Yemen’s internationally recognized government, said the Houthi attack struck warehouses used by a government-allied force late Wednesday. He says the attack killed eight people and caused a huge fire.
Doctors Without Borders, also known as MSF, says its hospital opened in August last year, offering free services to war-wounded people and surgeries. MSF says the attack forced it to shut down.
The Yemeni government has been battling the Houthis since 2015 after the Iran-allied militia took control of the capital.
However, war appeared to take a drastic turn in August when the anti-Houthi alliance reached a breaking point after pro-separatists forces clashed with the Yemeni army.
Tensions eased after Saudi Arabia broked a landmark power-sharing deal between the warring factions, calming decades of internal friction in south Yemen.